Wednesday, August 23, 2017

#RPGaday2017, Day 23: What RPG has the most Jaw-Dropping Layout?

Continuing the series. That's right, homies; it's Blog O' Clock.



#RPGaday2017, Day 23: What RPG has the most Jaw-Dropping Layout?

Lots of good answers here. For my money, a good layout isn't just pretty, but helps convey information cleanly and effectively. Call it the communication scholar in me1, but if something is gorgeous, but the layout isn't helping to communicate information, then my jaw is decidedly safe from falling damage.

So naturally, Shadowrun 5 is right out.

I love it, but this book is actively harmful
to understanding how to play the damn game.


Looks aren't everything, but they're sure important. So to that end, here's a few thoughts.

Fiasco

Like all good little designers, I love me some Saul Bass. If you're going for dynamic text that conveys a wealth of information with minimal noise, you could do much worse. And if you're going for a neo-noir vibe with a "heist" or "caper" feel, I dare you to do better.

Fiasco, a narrative game2 of unchecked ambition and poor impulse control, has steered into this aesthetic hard, and I love it. Check out this playmat:

Bassian AF.
Now if that doesn't make you want to play some Fiasco, I'm not sure what it'd take; it's probably not for you in that case. 

But it is for me. 

Very, very much for me.

After my first Fiasco game, I commented to the group that I'd gotten more of what I want out of gaming from this three-hour session, than I tend to experience across the entirety of many traditional RPG campaigns. It's incredibly easy to get started with, and I credit the layout for a lot of that. It not only communicates how to play the game, but promises a certain feel, and tone, while looking absolutely gorgeous.

Star Trek Adventures

Insert boilerplate disclaimer: yes, I do write for Modiphius, but no, I haven't written anything for this book. I'm a fan, a gamer, and I bought my .pdf like anybody else. 

Having said that, look at this hotness.

Above: said hotness.
Sure, on the surface it's a two-column layout with occasional sidebars. And yes, it's just replicating an already established design, and gets a long way on nostalgia. But I dare you to load this .pdf up on a tablet, and not feel like you're there. It really establishes the tone, and I'm a fan of the underlying practices, going back through Infinity and Conan, all the way back to Mutant Chronicles 3rd.

Lay it out for me

There are a ton more games worthy of inclusion; Fate Core, Nova Praxis - especially the enhanced edition, good gods - as well as Blades in the Dark, and I'd even go back to Fred Hicks' layout for HERO system 6th edition, which took a super-obtuse game, and went a long way towards making it less daunting... the list goes on and on.

Doubtless I've missed something truly classic, and will feel like a doof the moment I hit "publish" here; feel free to chime in with your thoughts in the comments.

Be excellent to one another
~Killstring



* * *

1 - Or the Graphic Designer, if you prefer. Hey, minors count! I've designed real graphics, I'll have you know; for actual clients who were almost certainly human, thanks kindly.

2 - I've probably been under-citing Fiasco in this series, not because I don't love it - I really do - but because I'm not sure what to call it, exactly. It is certainly a game about Role Playing, in a way that many RPGs never truly are, but that term has come to mean many things. I'm certainly not one for gatekeeping, but it's also a very different value proposition than your traditional RPG - it's meant to be played in one session, for instance - so I don't think there's any disparagement in wanting to distinguish between an improv game intended to be born and die in the span of a few hours, and a lengthy, procedural experience meant to last months, if not years, of real-time. 

They're both lovely things, and welcome, and "real gaming." But definitions are useful. /$0.02

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to discuss your thoughts! Discourse is important, but please keep it civil.

Things that are not civil: bigotry or hate speech, personal attacks and general trolling.

Things that are civil: pretty much anything else!