Wednesday, August 2, 2017

#RPGaDay2017 #2: See it Published?

Hi! This wasn't written on the day in question; I'm backfilling here. Because I didn't start writing these until the 16th, but I decided to give it a whirl anyway.

Expect these to be a bit more brief than usual. We good? Good.

Let's blog, homies.

RPGaDay 2017 Day 2: What is an RPG you would like to see published?

Infinity.

I kid.

Except not really. I'll be a huge combination of relieved, overjoyed, and chomping at the bit once it's finally in everybody's hands. Strands of Fate 2 is in the same category, though that's farther out than anyone - absolutely including Mike and myself - would prefer. Then there's also my own Gehenna Engine, though that's more a matter of incorporating all the playtest data, and getting around to Alpha Playests round 2.

But nobody cares about me here; this is about... I'm not sure, actually. Stuff I want to see? Hypotheticals? Not sure, really. 

Ok, here's my thought then. I would like to see a genuine update of... The Street Fighter Storytelling Game.
This is not a drill.

Why oh why would I want something like that? Well, it doesn't have to be this license, and it probably shouldn't be done by White Wolf (or Onyx Path, though I've more faith in that working), but there's something that I want, that doesn't exist.

Namely, a great system for telling stories that revolve around 1v1 conflicts.

Tournaments, whether sporting, underground fighting, or anime-styled "have to be the best" clashes, are cool as hell, and a great source of potential stories. Plus, the gameplay could be really quite fun, and for all its flaws, SFtSG had an interesting, timing-based core combat mechanic. And there's not really anything on the market that's trying to do that.

My first attempt at an indie RPG, EGADSattempted to solve this problem, but had all the problems of a graduate student's first earnest swing at a system. But nobody's really looking at interesting 1v1 conflicts. Of course, the problem is one of scale; if I'm telling an Enter the Dragon type story, the 1v1 bouts need to be compelling, but eventually, our heroes are going to nunchuck2 the bejeesus3  out of dozens of mooks.

Getting something that does both is tricky, but dammit, it's something I want that I can't currently get.

Hey, you asked4. :)

* * *

1 - Currently shelved, but entirely beloved; once I've got a bit more experience under my belt, it'll rise again.

2 - Not a verb.

3 - Not a word.

4 - You didn't, actually. You were kind enough to click on my blog, a fact for which I am eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to discuss your thoughts! Discourse is important, but please keep it civil.

Things that are not civil: bigotry or hate speech, personal attacks and general trolling.

Things that are civil: pretty much anything else!