Saturday, August 5, 2017

#RPGaDay 2017 #5: Which RPG cover best captures the spirit of the game?

Hi! This wasn't written on the day in question; I'm backfilling here. Because I didn't start writing these until the 16th, but I decided to give it a whirl anyway. Expect these to be a bit more brief than usual. We good? Good. Let's blog, homies.


#RPGaDay 2017 #5: Which RPG cover best captures the spirit of the game?

Well, this ain't hard IMO...

I know what this game is about.
Now, this is cheating a little1. D&D 3.X is a game about acquiring loot. I didn't really play very much AD&D, but I know that Gygax himself considered the continual aquisition of treasure to be the primary motivation of characters and players, so it's not too much of a stretch to say that it applies here.

So yeah. D&D is a game about vaguely medieval-esque, LotR-style adventurers pursuing loot in incredibly unsafe working conditions. This cover gives me that, no doubt.

There are other covers that I like more, and that promise a certain type of game very well - but few are as honest as the AD&D Player's Handbook.

Agree? Disagree? Tell me how right/wrong I am below!
~Killstring

* * *

1 - Primarily because D&D isn't really my jam, and D&D/Pathfinder as it's traditionally "meant" to be played is deeply uninteresting to me. Not that I haven't had fun! But it's involved bending the game a little, and even then, it's not aimed at me. 

Which is fine, and good, because people can like different things. Saying something isn't for me is not meant as an indictment - either of the thing, or of me - just an observation. Even so, I feel like my distillation of the essence of D&D into "Get More Powerful" might rub me the wrong way if I was more into the game itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to discuss your thoughts! Discourse is important, but please keep it civil.

Things that are not civil: bigotry or hate speech, personal attacks and general trolling.

Things that are civil: pretty much anything else!